Thursday, April 10, 2008

Starting something new.

I love pictures of my family. I love having pictures displayed on my walls, on my computer and in my wallet. I love to see the people I love and remember the moments I loved as I look at my pictures.

I wanted "good" pictures of my kids and didn't feel like my meesly efforts were worth hanging up. So dutifully, I went to a studio and handed over money. I hated paying the overcharged prices for subpar pictures at overcrowded studios where after my kids have waited so long they are overtired, they push a bunch of products that I don't even want.

So then I tried looking for a great photographer.....but I can't afford the wonderful pictures that they showed me...not at the prices they charge!


I figured that the only thing to do would be to do it myself! I practiced on my kids and anyone else who would hold still. I took classes, read books and finally, one day someone paid me to take some pictures.

Someone else saw them and the next thing I know, it snowballed into a pretty decent side job.

I realized that not only do I love having photographs, but I love taking pictures, I love capturing the connection between two people. I just love doing this.

I decided that I wanted to do what I love and keep it affordable so that people can get something better than just one overpriced, stiffly-posed, picture. I want people to buy pictures that showcase their child's personality. I don't need a bunch of pictures sitting around on my hard drive. I want to see the smile on someone's face.

So I take pictures in my tiny little studio and (my favorite) outside with natural light. I'm learning as I go that I know WHY photographers charge so much! It's time consuming but I love it and I'm finessing my workflow so that I am much faster now.

My friend, Tresa is amazing. She heard that I didn't have a website, so in 3 days she got my beta website up and running. There are more things I need to do and I'll have to adjust some stuff.....but here it is!

www.photosoftheheart.org

Who knows? Maybe this really will turn into something great. I don't feel like I'm fantastic, but I love what I'm doing and people seem to like it.

So let me know what you think!

2 comments:

  1. YOU ARE AMAZING DANA!! I absolutely LOVE your website. Your photos are so artistic and beautiful... you certainly have a gift. It's so awesome that you've found something that you enjoy so much that blesses families. I just wish we lived close enough for you to be our photographer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful website. lots of pictures that I hadn't come across yet as I've browsed your flickr photostream. you've got some really good ones! keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving some love! I can't wait to read your comments!

 
Creative Commons License
Photos of the Heart by Dana Stone, Photos of the Heart is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.